With the continued development of the COVID-19 situation we are aware many of our customers are facing disruption. Our primary concern at this time is the welfare of our customers and our staff as we navigate the situation.
Our aim is to continue to support you and your business and we encourage you to contact us should you need advice or guidance regarding your AIBMS account.
AIB Merchant Services Insight
Insight is a free and easy to use web tool that provides everything you need to manage your merchant account, giving you 24/7 access to your statements, fees and transaction data – all with full detail and search functionality. This means its easier than ever to manage your end of year accounts. Find out more about how to make the most of Insight here.
In line with Government Roadmap for Reopening Society and Business, we recommend that you check your card machine to ensure you are ready to accept card payments when trading recommences.
Some considerations for you are:
- Manual Contact Limit Increase: An update has been made available to your card machine to ensure the new contactless limit of €50/£45 is in place. In the event that your card machine has not automatically been updated, you can manually update your device. Read more for instructions on how to do this.
- If your device has been switched off for some time, we recommend that you complete a test transaction to ensure that it is working correctly. We recommend that you try a Chip and Pin and Contactless transaction using your own card.
- If an issue is experienced when testing your terminal when you complete these tasks, please find more details on our trouble shooting section.
- Click here to order paper rolls.
We are conscious that many businesses have had to temporarily close or make adjustments to provide products and services from a distance. We are here to help you. Should you have any difficulties regarding fees that fall due, or if you need help accepting payments over the phone, please contact our support team on the numbers below and we will do our best for you.
- ROI 1850 200 417
- NI 0371 200 1437
- GB 0371 200 1436
Contactless & Mobile Payments
As a measure to combat the spread of COVID-19 through the handling of cash and contact based transactions, the Irish and UK Governments have passed a revision to the limit of contactless payments. The limit for contactless payments has increased from €30/£30 to €50/£45.
Updates have been made to your card machine to reflect this change. Please encourage your customers to use contactless payments for transactions less than €50/£45.
Additionally, your card machine is enabled to accept Google Pay and Apple Pay. If your customers choose to pay this way, contactless limits do not apply. To find out more on contactless payments and enabling Google Pay and Apple Pay on mobile devices please click here.
Minimising cash and reducing contact based card payments is an important part of mitigating the spread of Covid-19.
As a consequence of businesses adapting to the current situation and taking payments over the phone, there is a heightened risk of fraud. Stolen cards may be used to pay for goods in this manner and the risk is particularly high where the customer is not known to you.
You can mitigate this risk by taking the following steps:
- If the customer is collecting the goods or you are delivering the goods to them, ask for ID to verify that the name on the card matches the ID they’ve given you.
- Always obtain proof of delivery, whether that be through registered post, a reputable courier service or an established internal delivery capture.
- Ensure that all staff taking payment are aware of the risks associated with Card Not Present transactions
- If you have suspicions, or if the Customer is not known to you or your business, you can use an AIBMS Virtual Terminal to generate a payment link that can be emailed to the customer. This payment link will require the customer to complete various card verification steps prior to the transactions being authorised, giving you an extra level of protection.
For more information on preventing fraud, please refer to our Fraud Prevention Guide.
When a Chargeback is raised by a cardholder for a card payment taken in your business, the associated value will be debited from your merchant bank account and a supporting letter will be sent to your nominated address providing details of the Chargeback.
We know that many business premises are currently unattended due to Covid-19 and therefore we strongly recommend that any AIBMS customers that are not already signed up for Insight, our online statement and reporting tool, sign up now. It is free of charge and easy to access online 24/7.
Alternatively, If you would like to change the address your chargeback letters are sent to during these unprecedented times you can do so by contacting us. This will ensure your letters are sent to your preferred/home address instead of your unattended business address for the foreseeable future. To reverse this change you will need to contact our customer support desk to request this.
Insight is an online portal which displays all activity on your merchant account (Sales, Refunds & Chargebacks) on a daily basis.
Alternatively, if you see a Chargeback debit on your bank account, the narrative reference will show as CBK or Chargeback followed by a 7 digit number. Please contact our Chargeback team (+353 1 247 6483 or + 44 1268 298981) where one of the team will be happy to assist you.
AIB Merchant Services wish to assure our customers that we have a fully tested Business Continuity Plan (BCP) in place. The plan ensures a continuation of service in the event of a pandemic. We have recently reviewed our BCP in the context of COVID-19 and are confident in our ability to continue to deliver a high level of service to our customers at all times.