Fraud prevention tips
- You and your staff must follow the procedures set out in the Merchant Procedure Guide carefully at all times
- Analyse previous instances of chargebacks and fraud. This will help you to identify where your business is most at risk and how fraud can be prevented in future.
- Speak to AIB Merchant Services or your payment services provider about fraud screening services.
- Make sure that your staff are continuously educated on your risk management procedures. Your front line staff are key to identifying and reducing instances of fraud.
- If you are concerned that you may be vulnerable to fraud attack, perhaps because of your business location, the products or services you sell, or local intelligence, please contact the Merchant Support Centre and ask to speak to the Fraud Department, who will give guidance on good practice.
Terminal security – Protecting your POS equipment
- Ensure that all staff are properly trained in how to use your terminal(s) and in the procedures to be carried out when checking cards presented for payment.
- Supervisor cards should be used only by authorised and trained staff members.
- Supervisor cards must be kept secure in a location that is separate from the terminal.
If you have any concerns that the terminal has been tampered with, contact the terminal support helpdesk.
Card Security Code (CSC/CVV2/CVC2)
The Card Security Code (CSC) is the last three or four numbers on the signature strip on the back of the card.
- For all MasterCard and Visa cards, the code is preceded by the card number.
- On other cards, the code is preceded by the last 4 digits of the card number.